Sunday, March 5, 2017

Gwennie Revisited

 I do have some things I want to finish this year, but I am keeping the list short.  One of those projects is my Gwennie Inspired Medallion from the QAL. I don't think I have posted anything about it for a long time. I stalled. I consider myself a "traditional" quilter and my foray into Liberated quilting has been limited to some wonky stars and string piecing.


This is the last photo I shared of my progress. This was the Log Cabin round.





 The next round's theme was Stars. My first idea was a border of yellow strings. The thought being, the Sun is a star, stars are yellow, so rays from the Sun. I didn't like it.







This was my second attempt of the Star border. This has been hanging on my design wall for months. The longer it hung there the more I hated  disliked it! For one thing, the overall the top was just getting TO BIG! I never meant to make a large quilt out of this project. I didn't like the colors.






So I did some un-sewing and took it back to this point. I also poured over Gwen Marston's books and photos of liberated quilts online. Looking for things that stood out to me, things I liked about them. I realized that there needed to be connectivity to the rounds, either design elements or color.





One idea, continuing the neutral string element. (And too many others to show photos of.)






I finally went with this, colorful Liberated Log Cabin blocks and then kept the idea of yellow strings for rays of the Sun for the star round. The brown to connect the basket.





Next round's theme was Something Fishy. I had a ton of ideas, pinwheels to represent a fish wheel, wonky Bear Paw blocks for bears catching fish in the river, string pieced diamond shapes for fish and etc. But that meant making the top even larger and I really didn't want to do that. So I made blue circles. Blue for water, circles for bubbles in the water. I don't know, it worked for me. LOL


The finish top is 36" x 37". Now to decide how to quilt it!


 This project has been really a different experience for me. I normally follow a pattern fairly close,  making a few changes, but this is the first time I have "started from scratch" so to speak. I plan on making another one and try to improve my liberated quilting skills. Many thanks to Lori, Wendy, Cynthia, Katy and Cathy for hosting this QAL!!



Thanks so much for sticking with me through my ramblings! Happy Quilting, Rebecca

20 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm also a very traditional quilter. I enjoyed reading about your thought process. How you interpreted the different elements, and all the ideas you went through to get to your final decisions. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your finish - a great looking original quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a backbone of tradition quilting - it is hard to let it go. Your piece got 'rough' with trying to get it to meld with tradition. Love you worked it thru, restarted, and what a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Gwennie Inspired piece is wonderful. So colorful and inovative in design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt! I loved reading about your thought process through each step ... thanks for sharing. I hope you saved the wonky star strips you removed. They'll be so fun in another project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I did save the star strips. I might be able to use them in another project. I liked the idea of partial stars around the edge of the quilt.

      Delete
  6. so good that you pondered and persevered with this quilt as the end result look great. I must have a look at Gwen`s book today in fact will pause a moment whilst I get it off the bookcase how strange I have hundreds of books and this one was sticking out on the shelf so found it right away

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your interpretation of the rounds. great little quilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the stars but when I scrolled further down I could see what you mean.
    You found a great way to make it more bright and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turned out beautifully!
    I love the way you designed the stars peeking out from the edges of the quilt, but the mustardy color did seem rather dull compared to the other elements. I think the way you fit the other "rounds" into one was remarkably effective. You brought in all the required elements while keeping it to a size you preferred. Gwen would be proud! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous!!! And thank you for taking us through the process. Being the one who chose the "fishy" finale border, I LOVE the bubbles! I hope you can finish it in time to hang with the others that Lori has collected. I only wish I could be there in person to see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a hard time with this challenge too--my log cabin blocks aren't exactly wonky enough and just look like I am a bad sewer--lol! I think your quilt turned out great and love how you did it "your way"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Gwennie quilt is delightful. The final arrangement is fantastic. It was very interesting to follow your journey and your growth and expansion of ideas. You should be super pleased. I really like it. Maybe you can get it finished to hang in the show that Lori is organizing. It would be a wonderful a addition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it looks awesome, Rebecca! I love the yellow strings. I hope to finish mine this spring too. Or, the top at least. Anyway, all that thinking really paid off. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting post Rebecca - I enjoyed reding your thought processes and why you rejected and/or went for each border... I like how you've made it your own - great work, and it looks gorgeous!! (PS I love the idea of those half-stars, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to see your quilt top after you reworked it! I think it has so much personality now. It should feel like a success for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Rebecca,
    I thought all your versions were quite nice. Thank you for sharing your process; I find choosing the fabric/colours so hard and it is interesting to read about someone else's way of doing so. I think this project is a complete success. Gwen believes in the quilting process being fun and uniquely your own, soo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rebecca, I love that you decided to pull back and brighten up your log cabin round. I love the replacement borders and how you finished it off.

    I've got one of mine about 90% quilted. It was finished but I didn't like how I did one of the borders so I ripped all our. Have the twin basted but not started and the third, my tulip basket isn't even basted I may hand quilt that one.

    Congrats on the finished top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your quilt. I like the improv and I think you made it work.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They bring sunshine to my day!