Thursday, March 16, 2017

A New Way To Baste!

The main obstacle for me to finish a quilt is the layering and basting. I have to move furniture to make space to lay it out. That is very hard on me physically. Then there is getting down on the floor to lay everything out and tape it down, equally hard.  I did switched to spray basting instead of pin basting which helped a lot. But still it was so HARD to do I would put it off and put it off. 

Recently I came across a "new to me" way to layer and baste quilt tops. Using my ironing board! I watched a video by Paula Storm. I included the video in this post or you can watch it HERE. There may be other sources, but I thought she explained it very well. So I gave it a try and I got two tops basted in about the time it would have taken me to get the furniture moved! It may not work for everyone, but you might want to give it a try. 



Video by Paula Storm.





I wrote out the basic steps, but it would be best to watch her video.

 1) Center your batting on the ironing board.                                                                                            




2) Lay your backing fabric on top of the batting and make sure it is centered. Spray the back of your backing fabric by folding it over half way, spray with basting spray, then press. Repeat with the second half.





(Great backing I got for my Gwennie quilt!)





3) Turn your backing and batting over so the batting is on top.






4) Center your top and spray the back of it, half at a time, as you did with the backing fabric. Press.





One tip she gave was using a square ruler to make sure you corners are square. If not, adjust.




Gwennie is ready to quilt!







This process went so smoothly I also got my Dancing Stars top basted. A little more trouble with a larger top, but with practice I think it will get much easier.








It is still cold here. It was -25* when I got up this morning, but it is getting above 0* during the day. Yay!  And just because, photos of another moose I took the other day. 


 First she dug into the snow.





Then she came up with a mouthful of grass! Yum!





Happy Quilting! And thanks for stopping by! Rebecca

12 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, thanks for the video, I like that idea and I love your rectangle ironing board. I have been thinking about making a top for mine that is rectangle, it would be so much nicer for quilting. Moose outside your home . . . what an interesting sight. I have heard that they are quite aggressive and can be dangerous. Is that true of their natural or only when they have babies to protect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a portable banquet table (2 actually) that I use, but this is very handy for those with limited room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I've never tried the basting sprays. What has worked for me is taking my large tops to our church about 15 miles away and basting them on the large tables rather than crawling around on our living room floor. Though your method looks like a great solution for your circumstances, and you have that wonderful rectangular ironing board! Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't crawl around on the floor either. The smaller quilts that I quilt, I can pin on our kitchen table. If I need to do something larger, I take it to church and utilize the tables set up in the fellowship hall. Just curious, a friend told me to never spray basting spray in the same room as my sewing machine, it will make the machine seize up. Scared me so I don't spray. Was your machine in the same room?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still crawl around on the floor. Someday I am sure I won't be able to anymore. I will probably pin on tables then. I don't tolerate the chemicals in the sprays. : (

    ReplyDelete
  6. like you crawling on the floor is not for me. Wow you have a very wide ironing board they do not make them like that here but I can use my kitchen table,I bought one that extends and fills the kitchen never thought to lay the backing on top of the wadding so much more sensible as it makes sure no wrinkles will try this way but have not used spray before, I usually pin then tack takes forever then turn it over and there is a wrinkle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful basting tutorial, I'm going to give this method a try. Both of your quilt tops are beautiful, great you were able to get them prepped for quilting so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great when you find a new technique that works well and saves time and knees. Thanks for sharing the idea. I love seeing your moose pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to use the ironing board! great techniques for basting. I am a table baster myself.
    love seeing your visiting Moose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...what a great video. I'm going try spray basting again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kind of baste my quilts that way on a banquet table. Easier on the knees and back and I am pretty successful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pin baste my quilts on a table. I have to move it around a bit, but it's much better than getting down on the floor! And I've never made a giant quilt. Partly for that reason. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They bring sunshine to my day!