Monday, November 28, 2016

Front Porch SAL Part 7

I am almost caught up on the Front Porch SAL. All I have left on the bicycle block is to stitch down some of the bike parts. And I would have gotten those finished but, remember my name is Dory! I got distracted with new projects. Quilts for Christmas gifts! I am little late starting them, but I think I can get them done if sew, sew, sew. More about those after the photos of my Front Porch progress.

I will be linking up with Lori of Humble Quilts and the other ladies HERE


I almost have all of the pieces of the bicycle block stitched down


I completed the birdhouse block and the side blocks that go with it, except for one. I have not decided what I want to do for it, maybe a bird or another pinwheel block.





Close up of the birdhouse, I really like this one.


Below are all the blocks together. I am not 100% sure about the blue and orange pinwheel blocks I have used, may rethink those.

Sorry for the poor photo, but I have no place to lay them and my "design wall" is too small.




Now for the Christmas gift quilts. The first on is a Bonnie Hunter pattern called Smokey Mountain Stars. You can find the free pattern HERE. I have had the top done for a long time and I finally got it quilted last week and I am stitching down the binding now. I am sending this one to my brother, he recently purchased a new home so this will be a House Warming/Christmas gift combined.


Smokey Mountain Star for my brother.


I just did a simple loopy meader.



I am planning on two quilts for grandkids. I have one top done for a granddaughter whose favorite color is black. I am just waiting for the backing fabric to arrive and hopefully I can get it quilted quickly. I am still working on the second top for a grandson. My original plan is not working out, but I am hopeful I can figure something out in the next couple of days and get his top finished soon.

Quilt top for one of my granddaughters.




This is the backing fabric I ordered, I love all the words and sayings on it.



As I write this post we have about -20* temperature, it is headed down to -30*. It  will be a cold
night!

 Happy Quilting, Rebecca

15 comments:

  1. Your Front Porch quilt is just marvelous - so much work so well done. I've done BH's Star pattern for Wounded Warriors - quick and great for mixing scraps - especially those plaids. Would love to know the fabric name you ordered - that would work so well on the back of my 365 quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is very cold!! those are very pretty blocks and I love your winter header on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your plaid version of the Front Porch quilt--I have probably said that before. : )
    Smoky Mountain Stars is a beauty. I made a top from that pattern in Christmas colored plaids. Still a flimsy. Your finish may motivate me.
    Nice quilt for a black loving granddaughter. That is great backing fabric--words of wisdom from Grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Porch! I love your plaids and pops of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making such pretty quilts. I am sure your grandson will love his! Cute background you found. Love the Smokey Mountain stars, love those simple yet beautiful patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your quilt is coming alonh=g beautifully so much to see and admire on it, also thr grandchild quilt and the backing fabric is very special. The stars are really twinking on your star one too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your front porch quilt is gorgeous. What a lovely gift for your brother, and the quilt for the grand daughter is neat too. Love your backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your use of the plaids in the Porch quilt is totally stunning. I think my favorite is that bicycle block. Who knew a black quilt could be so colorful, yet the alternating grays really intensify its character. Your eye for color is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your front porch blocks! That tricycle was a challenge , but yours looks great!
    I'm made smoky MTn stars too! Love that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Front Porch quilt so far--you have an awesome collection of plaids!! The bike looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Smokey mountain stars is fabulous and your brother will love having it his new home. What fun it would be to ride on that bike with the plaid wheels - -adorable! But it would have to be a lot warmer than -30 below.. now that is on the chilly side. Stay warm up there and add an extra quilt to the bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your QAL quilt is looking great!!! What a neat quilt - love that bike! Also your Smokey Mountain is beautiful - I'm sure your brother will love it. I like the way you have done the black quilt too - still a 'black' quilt but with a nice amount of colour in it. Good luck with the quilt for your grand-son!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Rebecca, I am always amazed at your stitching . . . you are so talented! The quilt Smokey Mountain Stars is so intriguing, I love it. It looks like something that you would find in an attic truck. There is such a warmth to it; I think that if I were ever to get curled up in it, I would never want to come out :) I love your bicycle block, too. You are one awesome quilter . . . someday I would love to be half as good at quilting as you are :)
    Have a lovely week.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The blocks in your QAL are fabulous. The plaid wheels of your bike are delightful. The quilt for your brother will make a wonderful gift. A wonderful finish. You're super busy at the moment getting all of this quilts done before Christmas. But I know you can do it. Stay warm and have fun stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving all those plaids. That bicycle is adorable. Some of your family members are going to be very lucky on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They bring sunshine to my day!