Sunday, October 23, 2016

Winter Is Here!

It looks like Winter is here in Alaska. We had 4" of snow on Friday and last night it got down to -10*. It will warm back up, but the snow is probably here to stay. It is hard to say though, we have been having mild Winters (for Alaska)  the last couple of years.

I am sure this post will come as  a surprise to everyone since it appeared I had disappeared from blogland. I have been busy quilting even if I have not been busy blogging. First up, there was a request from our guild for "fire" quilt tops. Fire quilts are our main charity program. We make and give quilts to families who have lost their homes to a fire. The year before we gave out 12 quilts and our stockpile was very low. In fact there were no large quilts at all. So I complete two queen size tops. The tops have been passed on to a member who will quilt them on a long arm machine.


This is a Missouri Star pattern called Four-Patch Star, I use a fabric line called Sundrops.




 This one was made with fabric donated to the guild. The ladies grouped the fabrics by color and I chose green.






I am way, way, behind on the Front Porch and Gwennie Medaliion SALs I joined. I did finally get my watermelons stitched for the Front Porch SAL and haved started my vase blocks for the next month.  
I will be linking up with Lori of Humble quilts, HERE. You can see the other stitchers progress!
                                                    




Two of the vase blocks. I am not too sure about that purple flower.




All my blocks so far.







I have completed all the hand pieced baskets for my Sweet William Quilt and have started prepping the applique half of the blocks.


36 hand pieced Sweet William baskets.



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

I was finally able to layer and spray baste this king sized quilt top in September. This will be our new bed quilt.It finished at 108" X 108"! (This is the same pattern  I used for the Fire quilt above.)


The only space large enough was the deck and I had to wait till we have enough dry days to lay it out.




Now I am on to the quilting!




Happy Quilting, Rebecca

*A note to any other bloggers out there that are classical music lovers like I am. You can get a wonderful station from California online. It is KUSC. There are no commercials! It is member supported and they are having a fund raisning event until Wednesday or Thursday. I downloaded an app for my iPad and my phone. Beautiful music to quilt to!


25 comments:

  1. So good to see your post pop up! Missed hearing about your doings. Looks like winter arrived this week throughout the 49th State! You have been so busy with all those quilts for the guild. Our own guild members are knee deep in pillowcases. It was nice to put some of my yardage to work. Thank you so much for the tip about the California station. I always music going in the sewing room -makes for the perfect background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had snow too - not as cold, but still brrr. Love all the star quilts - the green one just sparkles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had wondered how you were doing--had noticed how quiet it was from up your way. Good to hear from you! : )
    Another gorgeous header photo.
    I really like that 4-patch star. And I love the Front Porch blocks in plaid!!
    Your Sweet William quilt looks very labor intensive to me--the kind of quilt I admire, but never make.
    Trying to discern what pattern you are quilting--is it allover swirls? It has been a long time since I have quilted anything that large on Gidget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you back, and that all is well with you. You've been very busy! I think your fire quilts are a really great charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see your post pop up on my dashboard today. You haven't wasted any time getting a lot accomplished during your absence. I especially love your four patch star quilts. I'm not sure I'd be up to quilting a huge king size quilt anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your small break from blog certainly has showed up in all the beautiful quilts that you've been making. Glad you've had the chance to work on your Sweet William quilt as well. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting machine looks similar to my girl friends hers is a babylock Tiara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome quilts...and more awesome to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good to see you back in blogland, you have been busy. Snow allready I am hoping here in the UK we do not get any this winter but last year was so mild we will probably be punished this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful progress on your quilts and LOVE the pic in the blog header! Summer is the best time to take advantage of outdoors and sunshine and exercise.... now that winter is near (or here)... it's back to the sewing room! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Winter..... it's still very much fall in Holland. We hardly get any snow. Love your four patch stars, Sweet William is a project that I would love to start ..... One of these days. Enjoy your day,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the star quilt with the scrappy patchwork - I have thought of using this pattern for some time now with the 2 inch scrappy squares that I have saved - I should put that box out to start leaders and enders.
    sure do not envy you snow already but I'm sure that is somewhat normal for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They've been saying that all your cold air is going to be pushed down on top of us again this winter. But not yet!

    I'm glad you're keeping busy, and it looks like you will have a lovely quilt to keep you warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have been working on some great quilts........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your fire quilts are very pretty and I'm sure will be well appreciated!
    Wow, love the progress on your Sweet William quilt and your new bed quilt is looking fabulous too!
    So happy to hear you've been busy quilting. Snow already? Wishing you and all the woodland critters up there a wonderful and peaceful start to winter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my - I do like your purple flower - especially when you put all of your blocks together and can see all of the different plaids you are using!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of quilty goodness! No wonder you haven't had time to blog! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK, nice progress with Front Porch but... wow... your baskets are amazing! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've been busy! I like the purple flower, esp since you used it in the basket block. Thanks for posting your update!
    So sad we need fire quilts! I can't imagine how devastating that would be. I'm sure the quilts offer a measure of comfort and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bbrrrrr. Snow already, I just arrived home to the Netherlands and am still not used to the 60 degrees here after the nineties in Arizona! Your quilts are stunning! Such beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, now that it looks like winter has arrived in your neck of the woods, you will probably have a lot more time for working on your projects. Do you get tired of snow?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your use of plaids in the Front Porch blocks--very cozy looking! I plan to start Sweet William next year and I really like how your blocks are coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just checking back to see what's new. OMG, your header picture is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree great header picture. While you may not be blogging you have been a very busy lady with your quilts. They are all gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you used the plaids in the Front Porch quilt. They look fabulous!

    What a great idea to coordinate making tops and quilting them for fire quilts. I guess it's one way to share the work and the blessings.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They bring sunshine to my day!