Monday, August 1, 2016

Gwennie Inspired Medallion - Part Three



For the third border of  our Gwennie Inspired Medallion QAL, Cathy, of Big Lake Quilter blog, choose Log Cabins as our theme.  You can visit her blog HERE. As I thought about how to incorporate Log Cabin blocks in the next round I was reminded that I have actually lived in real log cabins. At least four through out our marriage. In Idaho, Montana, and here in Alaska. When I say "real" log cabins, that includes all the amenities, no electricity, no running water, an outhouse for a bathroom, and logs. We heated with a wood stove and in several I cooked on a wood cookstove. So for my Log Cabin theme, I bordered my center in brown strips for logs and cream strips for the cabin chinking and sewed them around the medallion in log cabin style. My border is not very wonky, but I thought the top needed a "break" from the busyness of the last two rounds.










I did think of several other ideas, including string squares to represent log cabins or wonky houses. I also drew some ideas out on a photo copy of the medallion, but the brown and cream borders just looked the best.





I so look forward to seeing everyone's Log Cabin rounds! I am sure I will see amazing creations and as always, wonder why I didn't think of that! Our next theme is Stars chosen by Katy of Katy Quilts, you can visit her blog HERE. After my  more control Log Cabin border I think my Stars will be more liberated.

I will be linking up with Lori and other ladies doing this QAL at Lori's blog Humble Quilts. You can see photos of some of the wonderful Gwennie Medallions on her blog HERE.



Thanks for stopping by! Rebecca







18 comments:

  1. I am sure the next border is going to be stunning! I LOVE a log Cabin! In a quilt and also to stay in. My husband and I always look for these fun places during our travels to the US!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have real experience with log cabins, so those simple brown and creme strips are packed with meaning for you! Nice idea to calm things down a bit for this round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about all the log cabins you have lived in. I used to think that I wanted to live in one....but with all the modern conveniences. Good interpretation of the round's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really liking your version of this QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect border before more liberated stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! A subtle way to add the log cabins...

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is what is good about this project, each can imagine his work according to our envies.you have more freedom with the stars;

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was worried that no one would like the theme I chose for last month. I am so happy to see all the wonderful Log Cabin border interpretations. I love your quilt. I can't wait to see how you interpret the star border. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interpretation and I think the brown and cream logs and chinking helped break up the quilt and give the eye a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's coming along beautifully! Love the center medallion background as well as the lovely basket center. Looking good!! Love your header, BTW. SO pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your real log cabin inspiration frames the medallion perfectly. You may have had other ideas what your quilt seemed to know best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that sometimes the busyness just needs a break -- and I think your log cabin looks great on your quilt. I also like those little blocks at the bottom of your post, especially the log cabin with window and door.

    Maybe it wasn't but to me it sounds like a challenge to live in a log cabin without amenities like running water, flushing toilet, etc. Were you able to stay warm with log heat?
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your interpretation!! and the colors you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your browns. to me they have an earthy feel which works well with your vibrant greens of the last border and your colorful flowers. I would never have thought of browns but it is a good choice and gives your quilt a "grounded" feel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, Rebecca, I can't imagine cooking on a wood stove for very long! Fun for a two week vacation, but after that... Your medallion is looking great, it's really different than the others, and I love that! Sept 1 is soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can appreciate your approach to why you did the log cabins...great choice! Like the framing it gives to the center applique - colors worked out really well. We fished years ago numerous times on Vermilion Bay in Ontario - always stayed in an old log cabin - wood stove, hauled our water and slept in log beds under Hudson Bay blankets - best of times!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rebecca, was hoping to see your star border, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so very beautiful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They bring sunshine to my day!